Cannot FF or RW my Blu-ray disc

Forum for people using tools such as Sonic DVD-It Pro, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Encore, etc.

Cannot FF or RW my Blu-ray disc

Postby MMathews » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the topic of Blu-ray burning and new to this website. I hope I am posting this question in the correct forum.

I recently purchased the Software & Hardware configuration listed at the bottom here for the purpose of burning my own blu-rays discs to archive some favorite TV shows in HD from my DVR. The task will involve some editing, but nothing major or fancy.

To capture the video, I’m using a Hauppauge Video Capture box. I've made some test recordings from my DVR using this device. I have all settings at the highest resolution possible and am recording 1080i video to m2ts files.

For editing software, I use Sony Vegas Pro 12 as a friend recommend it. Quite complex!

After practicing a bit I was able to successfully import the recording, edit out ad content, and burn the result to a BD-25 disc. I had some quality-loss issues at first, but after reading up I learned about frame-rate conversion. So now I am able to burn a disc at the same frame rate (29fpc) and the resulting disc looks great.

HOWEVER, no matter what I do, I cannot fast-forward or rewind the burned blu-ray. It will only move to indexed chapters based on markers I placed in the time-line. The player is a Samsung BD-F5700 with updated firmware.

My question is two-fold:

A) Has anyone ever encountered this FF and RW problem and can offer any advice as to what causes it? I don’t think it’s the player. I really am unhappy about not being able to fast-forward or rewind like commercial blu-rays.

B) Can anyone recommend more "consumer/beginner" friendly software that can accomplish what I want to do? The Sony Vegas Pro suite seems too complicated.

Please let me know if there's any other information needed that I have not supplied.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hardware and software info:

To capture video: Hauppauge PVR 2, recording thru component video outputs from DVR

My PC Specs:

Dell XPS-8700
Windows 7
Intel Core i5-4460
8GB Ram
2 Hard Drives, 1TB each
LG Blu-Ray Burner BD-RE WH16NS40

Capture Software: Hauppauge Capture

Editing & Burning Software: Sony Vegas Pro 12

Recording file type: .ts or .m2ts
Render file type: m2ts

Blu-Ray player is a Samsung BD-F5700 with updated firmware.
MMathews

Return to Consumer/Prosumer Authoring